Minecraft is a 2009 sandbox video game originally created by Swedish programmer Markus "Notch" Persson and later developed and published by Mojang.
The creative and building aspects of Minecraft enable players to build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D procedurally generated world. Other activities in the game include exploration, resource gathering, crafting, and combat.
Minecraft has several gameplay modes, or "Gamemodes", which include:
- Survival Mode, where the player must acquire resources to build the world and maintain health.
- Creative Mode, where players have unlimited resources to build with and the ability to fly.
- Hardcore Mode, similar to survival, but hardest mode in the game. Only 1 life per world for each player.
- Adventure Mode, where players can play custom maps created by other players.
- Spectator Mode, where players can fly around and clip through blocks, but cannot place or destroy any.
Minecraft also has a MultiPlayer feature, where players can play on servers, and a "Realms" feature where players can play on hosted worlds.
Minecraft has been released on several platforms:
- Personal Computer and Mac (PC) Edition
- Console (Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Wii U) Edition
- Pocket Edition (Android, iOS, Windows Phone)
- Raspberry Pi Edition
- Virtual Reality (VR) Edition
Minecraft has generally received positive reception, and is currently the 3rd most selling game of all time. As of June 2015, over 70 Million copies of the game have been sold, 30 Million being from Pocket Edition.