- "Yeah. My source, uhhh, doesn't... uh... exist. You guys are my only friends."
- —Axel to Olivia, Reuben, and Jesse. src
Axel is a main character in Minecraft: Story Mode. He is a large and strong human who is known to be a prankster and is one of Jesse's best friends. He is voiced by Brian Posehn. He first appeared in " The Order of the Stone".
Axel is muscular and tall in appearance and has short black hair along with a unibrow. He has a 2.5 Block Build. He wears a green jacket, dark fingerless gloves, tan pants and sandals. Later, he also gains a helmet similar to Magnus the Rogue's, a chestpiece similar to his former shirt, gloves and brown boots.
Axel's jacket is now replaced with a green plaid flannel, which is left open to reveal a skull T-shirt.
Axel is portrayed to be a joker who enjoys making people laugh. Throughout the game, he acts as a source of comic relief throughout the story, making lots of sarcastic quips and short one-liners.
Axel is revealed to be a bit of a coward, but he is very fierce when defending his friends and will do a great deal to protect them. Axel is also revealed to be a kleptomaniac, as he tries to steal small items whenever he can.
Axel is one of Jesse's best friends and is very protective of Jesse. He always tries to help and support Jesse, and encourages him/her in all of their endeavors. Axel also always tells Jesse to "lighten up" as he feels he/she is too serious. He is willing to save Jesse from harm, since he ran forward in the mob grinder to pull Jesse back as he/she was launched forward by the water, which would've resulted in Jesse being killed or gravely injured if Axel had not stepped in.
- Jesse: "Let's build an Enderman."
- Axel: "Awww, Olivia's thing?"
- Olivia: "Are you whining?"
- Axel: "No, I was saying Awwwesome."
- —Axel and Olivia after Jesse chose to build an Enderman. (Determinant) src
Axel and Olivia are often portrayed to be at odds. However, both of them never shy away from helping each other in times of need.
- "He's a tough little ham."
- —Axel to Jesse about Reuben (Pig). src
Axel loves playing pranks on Jesse and the gang, including Reuben. However, he does like Reuben a lot, and even got him an Ender Dragon costume to wear for EnderCon. Unlike Olivia, Axel always believed in Reuben's abilities. Axel is seen heartbroken when Reuben dies.
- "I'm hanging out with Magnus! I am doing awesome!"
- —Axel to Jesse. src
Axel is a huge fan of Magnus the Rogue, and sees him as his hero and mentor. He wants to be just like him, which can be seen in his attire and attitude as well. He is sad if Magnus dies.
- "Haven't you caused enough damage for on day? Petra might be dead because of you!"
- —Axel blaming Lukas for Petra's presumed death. src
At first, Axel doesn't like Lukas, thinking he's a coward at first, partially because he was in The Ocelots. Axel gets angry when Lukas got scared, and blames him for Petra's presumed death in the beginning. If Jesse chooses to save the Amulet in Episode 3, Lukas saves Axel and Reuben, causing Axel to accept Lukas.
- "Petra! You made it!"
- —Axel after being reunited with Petra. (Determinant) src
Axel and Petra are presumably close friends, as Axel shows concern for her safety and health, especially when she gets trapped. Axel also hugs Petra if you go to Boom Town and save her from the Wither Storm. He is also one of the first to notice that she is sick if you save her.
- "Why are we wasting time talking to this jerk? We have to go and get Petra!"
- —Axel to the group about Ivor. src
Axel didn't like Ivor at first. But after the defeat of the Wither Storm, he thought differently about Ivor. He even liked his Lava House, and thought it was "cool."
- The Order of the Stone
- Assembly Required
- The Last Place You Look
- A Block and a Hard Place
- Order Up!
- A Journey's End?
- Elixir (Determinant)
- Apple (Determinant)
- Firework Rockets
- Cake (Determinant)
- Creeper Mask
- "It was Aiden! That punk!"
- —Axel. src
- "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is sad."
- —Axel to Jesse. (Determinant) src
- "I felt all of that!"
- —Axel when he tripped after the potion of slowness wears off. (Determinant) src
- "After I watch one more chicken get owned."
- —Axel to Jesse. (Determinant) src
- "Isn't it weird how dispensers are carved to look like spooky little faces? What do you dispense, little guy?"
- —Axel. src
- "(Name of group)'s luck is changing. "
- —Axel. src
- "Magnus, we totally got caught by Magnus! I mean...I think we're gonna die now."
- —Axel, when first seeing Magnus the Rogue. (Determinant) src
- "Dude, what a chicken!"
- —Axel talking about Soren when he runs away. (Determinant) src
- "How do you make Enderman focused? I can't even make myself focused."
- —Axel to Olivia. src
- "I can't believe I just saw that! That was amazing! Why is no one freaking out!?"
- —Axel to everyone. src
- "Whoa, that is, without question, the coolest thing I have ever, ever seen!"
- —Axel when Jesse shows him the weapon he/she made. src
- "Petra might be dead because of you!"
- —Axel threatening Lukas. src
- —Axel. src
- "I think I got something... in both my eyes."
- —Axel, when Jesse is talking about Reuben in his speech. (Determinant) src
- "WHY ARE WE SCREAMING?!"
- —Axel. (Determinant) src
- "I would take that cactus with me, but I don't want to stick it in my pants."
- —Axel to Jesse in Boom Town. (Determinant) src
- "Oh, it's that guy from EnderCon who was afraid of chickens!"
- —Axel about the usher. (Determinant) src
- "I thought maybe you'd have like a cool motivational thing to say there, but... that's cool, that's cool."
- —Axel to Jesse outside the Temple of the Old Builders. (Determinant) src
- "It's just... I really love cake. "
- —Axel to Jesse inside the Temple of the Old Builders. src
- "That guy's voice is the worst. I can even hear it through the obsidian."
- —Axel to Jesse about Hadrian's voice when Axel's in an obsidian prison. src
- "Huh? What part are we at? Am I being awesome?"
- —Axel after waking up. src
- Axel is voiced by Brian Posehn who also voices Sour Cream in Steven Universe.
- This further shown in Episode 3, when the first cave spiders attack him from the front.
- Axel continuously falls onto Lukas as a gag in Episode 3. He does so four times throughout the game.
- In "Order Up!", it is revealed Axel loves cake.
- Axel is mentioned in Episode 6 and 7. This is the same with Olivia.
- One of Axel's quotes, "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is sad." may refer to a similar quote in the Bible at Mark 14:38.
- Sometimes, his legs are transparent as a glitch for some players.
- Axel, alongside Slab, Reuben (Human), Clutch, Emily, Fred, Capital T, and the other Gladiators have big builds only in Minecraft: Story Mode.
- In Episode 2, Axel can determinately have an arrow in his knee if Jesse chooses to visit Boom Town.
- According to Eric Stirpe, Axel was originally going to have a pet bat in "Assembly Required", the bat was cut due to budget issues.
- Eric Stirpe claims, that when Minecraft: Story Mode was in early production and originally had swearing, Axel would often use a few swears.
For all images related to Axel, see Axel/Gallery.
- ↑ http://stirpicus.tumblr.com/post/165425806531/wait-axel-have-a-pet-bat
- ↑ http://stirpicus.tumblr.com/post/166359648596/what-were-some-of-the-cuss-word-said-in-s1